Friday, February 25, 2011

Whine Into Water (yes, typo intended)



Most of us know about the first miracle Jesus performed in His ministry. In John 2: 1-11, Jesus's mother, Mary, asks her son to help the hosts of the wedding solve a major faux paus for their culture. There is not enough wine for the guests. I love it that Mary goes to her son to ask for help. I do not doubt for a moment that Mary forgot who this amazing person was, yet she was still His mother and did not hesitate to ask for His help.

Jesus even cautions His mother, "Dear woman, why do you involve me? My time has not yet come."

Mary doesn't miss a beat though. She turns to the servants and says, "Do whatever He tells you." She submits to Her son's approach and has faith that whatever method He uses will be right.

She was right, too. The wine Jesus created was not just any wine. The master of the banquet questioned the bridegroom because he did not know from where the new wine came. He said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink, but you have save the best till now." Jesus' wine was the best.

Jesus provided for the needs of the groom and bride. He provided the best for them.

Today, I was challenged to look at my desert times of life. In context of Exodus as the Israelites left Eygpt, they took with them gold, silver, jewelry, clothing, and oil given from the Eygptians. They had spent over 400 years in slavery with very little of their own possessions.

When God's timing came ("He remembered his children"), the Israelites left with plunder beyond their imaginations. Later in Exodus, God asks for that plunder to become an offering for His glory.

Like the Israelites, after battling the areas of slavery in my life, after my desert times, what is the plunder God has given me? One author encouraged me to write the plunder or riches of God I gained as a result of those times.

I was amazed by the list. Included in my list were my daughter, adopted from China late in my life, and having time to know and believe God more deeply.

Amazing!

Yet, like the Israelites I admit I often whined in the desert. (Yes, whined. You are seeing the connection and play on words now aren't you? I knew you would.)

Praise God for performing yet another miracle. He plans are the best for me. His plans are for good, not evil. He took my WHINING and turned it into water, water for a planting of oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor (Isaiah 61).

What about you? What riches have resulted from your desert times of life? How has God transformed your own whine into praise? Join with me today in thanking Him for continuing to transform.

For His glory,
Gretchen

1 comment: