Monday, January 24, 2011

Black ICE!


The other day I waxed poetic about the beautiful six inches of snow we were experiencing in Missouri. So pretty, so amazing....sooooooo

Dangerous....

This morning, anticipating 40 degree weather, and seeing glimpses of sun, most of us in the St. Louis area casually drove onto the still frigid roads happy that the plows had cleared the snow for work and school.

Little did I know that right in front of my own driveway was a long stretch of black ice. I discovered this as I watched car after car put on its brakes for the stop sign near by and slide on through. Then on the way to my dentist appointment, I found the highway had been shut down because of so many accidents. (I wasn't too upset at having to reschedule my appointment though.)

Listening to Bott Radio while waiting in traffic, I was reminded of areas of black ice in my own life. You know what they are. I am sure you have some, too.

Those areas we haven't quite fully surrendered to God yet become our black ice. Just when I think I have given it all to God, when I think I am not going to try to control things, something happens called LIFE.

How easily I slip (pun intended) back to the old habits, the old ways of impatience, of trying to fix things myself, of taking back what I think is control.

It is a slippery slope when I depend on myself instead of God.

It looks so safe, so nice. It feels comfortable until I am in the middle of it.

Thank you, Jesus, for your patience and grace in picking me up when I fall, of putting me back on the right path, of loving me.

Join me, won't you, in giving Jesus our areas of black ice today.

For His glory,
Gretchen

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen,

    I needed to hear this today. I'm a control-freak myself sometimes and need to be reminded often to give Jesus my areas of 'black ice'. Thank-you :-)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete