Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Gift of Popcorn!



Today was my day to be a radiator of love for someone God put on my heart. This was a request from a sister in Christ who is going through daily radiation treatments for cancer. She asked people to sign up to be radiators of God's love on one day during the next 3 weeks.

Honestly, I am ashamed to admit, I wasn't in the mood. I was at the grocery store when I was reminded today was the day to do this. I asked God to impress upon me someone to help or do something nice for before I left the store. The rest of my day would be spent at home painting walls; so this was it.

Frantically, I kept looking and did not see anyone who seemed in need. Almost to the electronic doors with my cart, I passed a small popcorn stand. Tins of flavored popcorn enticed me; I looked longingly at the chocolate covered caramel corn. In the corner of my eye I saw a woman, a little older than I, sitting near the popcorn stand. She looked so sad as she sat waiting.

"Get her a gift certificate so she can pick out her own treat and take it to her."

That was the prompting I received. I requested the gift certificate all the time watching her to see if she would leave. If she left, I would not have to worry about how to approach her, I thought, somewhat hopefully. She stayed, sitting, looking sad.

Hesitantly, I walked up to her and introduced myself telling her of my friend's request. "This is to honor her battle against cancer and her faith in God. I hope it cheers your day and you enjoy it."

Her tired blue eyes filled quickly filled with tears. She then told me her mother had died of cancer after a long struggle.

At that moment, I felt like I was standing in place of her mother giving her one last little treat to show her she was still loved. She smiled at me with tears running down her cheeks and said a simple thank you.

I do not write this to brag on myself, but to encourage you to be a radiator over the next few weeks. Just take one day, ten minutes and do some random kind act God puts on your heart.

You will be surprised at what He does.

For His glory...
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment