Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Bottom Line: How Embarrassing!


What has been your most embarrassing moment so far? Yes, I indicated "so far" because we all know more are bound to come. We are only human, and as a result, embarrassing moments are par for the course of life.

It is hard to forget them though, isn't it?

I recall one especially. It was my first year as principal at a high school. I was the first woman principal and was determined to do well. I was all business in my attitude and dress.

One morning before walking out into the large commons area to meet and greet teens as they congregated before school, I was stopped by a young male science teacher.

"Dr. Fleming! Wait! Don't go there!"

I started to turn around when he guided me quickly so my back was against the wall.

"You really don't want to go out there this morning," he said awkwardly with cheeks burning. "Check your rear."

I put my hand behind my back to discover my skirt had caught in my girdle (yes, girdle--didn't I tell you I was all business, after all?). -And I must add it was an UGLY girdle.

This young man had stopped me just before I had walked out among over one thousand teens who would have had quite a show and fun that morning.

I backed my rear to the wall and slided quickly to the restroom to make the necessary adjustment. Later, I thanked the teacher for the courage to "save my rear."

I also admit it was difficult evaluating that same teacher every year as I knew he must have had quite a time erasing that terrible visual.

Isn't it nice though to have people courageous enough to "watch your back" so to speak? Don't you get frustrated when you've spent an entire day or luncheon only to realize afterward you had food on your mouth, or inbetween your teeth, or a nose that needed blowing, and no one told you? No one had your back during that entire time as you laughed, joked, or regaled others with your own stories.

God promises to watch our rear for us. It says in Psalms, 34, "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him....The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushedin spirit" (NIV). In Psalm 145, ""The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. ...he hears their cry and saves them" (NIV).

As we wait on the Lord, will we have troubles? Do we have embarrassing times? Yes. Yes. For example, this morning was difficult. I was already battling depression when my husband returned from work declaring he had TWO flat tires. Helping him take the tires to Dobbs as well as get my daughter to school on time was not easy. My heart did not lighten as I worked through the logistics.

So after everything calmed down, I read the Bible and cried my heart out to God.
I am glad to tell you, He has my back. His peace and comfort are mine.

The bottom line (pun intended) is no matter what the circumstances, I can count on my Father surrounding me with His love and grace.

Blessings on you today. I hope today does not contain an embarrassing moment for you, but if it does, remember who has your rear. It will be o.k.

No comments:

Post a Comment