Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Be Careful What You Ask For...?


Remember as a child hearing the story of King Midas? It was thrilling at the story's start to imagine having everything you touch turn to gold! Of course, the story's moral brings it all to a halt when realizing this touch of gold included food, bedding, clothes, and eventually the king's own daughter.

"Be Careful What You Wish For!" was the adage repeated at the end of the story.

Long afterwards, I heard about the lucky winners of the lottery. Their stories often seemed to mirror that of Midas'. With fortune for many came ruin, loss of marriages, friends, and the easily won fortune. It still doesn't stop me from signing up every so often for the free HGTV home give away, even though I wonder how would I pay taxes or upkeep on such a home? If winning it, I could end up having bigger problems, especially in this economy. --Yet I still go on line and register.

Beth Moore, in her study on DAVID, SEEKING A HEART LIKE HIS, shares how the start of Kingdoms in the Bible began with "ASK FORS."

She shares how before David became king, a woman named Hannah sought God for a child. Receiving her answer, Hannah makes a pun or play on words. She names her son, Samuel, which also mimics the Hebrew sound or word for "Ask For." Samuel, becomes a judge for the nation of Israel, but when he turns old, Israel cries out for a king. In their desire to look like other nations, the people of Israel push away from God's timing and methods, and ask for a king to rule.

For those who wonder if God has any humor, the response of God in selecting Saul should answer that. Beth points out that Saul's name in Hebrew means, ASKED FOR.

With their names so ironically intertwined, the two "Asked fors" must interact with each other repeatedly.

I love how Beth points out the difference between Saul and the eventual king God selects after His own heart, David. When Saul was selected he was found hiding among the baggage. He wasn't sure he wanted the job as the first king. Later, Saul seeks to appease God in order to win a battle. In contrast, one sees David seek after God to please God because that is what is in his heart.

Today's study of 1 Samuel 13 made me review my own heart. Am I just seeking to appease, soften God to get what I want in life or do I truly wish to please God? Do I give God my whole heart?

2 Chronicles 16:9 For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.

I pray God finds in me a heart committed to Him. I pray He works to make me a woman after His own heart.

Join me in trusting that if that is your prayer you will get what you ask for. If so, you will never regret it.

For His Glory,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment