Thursday, June 9, 2011

Your Name on a White Rock



ALOHA!

Yes, we just returned from paradise!
Leaving behind tornadoes, 99 degree weather, humidity, cicadas swarming our yard, and even a small earthquake, my little family journeyed to a once-in-our-lifetime event, the Big Island.

I admit, I am not as great a traveler as I used to be. In my youth, I dreamed of traveling the world and escaping my all-too-small town. I used to drive to the small airport in Marion and just sit in the parking lot wishing to be on one of those small planes going to a city, then another city, then another....

I married a man who also loved to travel. And we did! No tourist packages, mind you. We were on a budget. So we drove around Europe, unable to speak any other language than our own. It was an adventure!It also made for great marriage-making moments!

Now, though, flying is stressful to me! Trying to figure out what size contact container, lotions, dealing with x-ray machines, and packing everything I need into a small carry-on to avoid airline fees seems to panic me as I stand in the long security lines.

For LAX we had to arrive 2 hours early. Oh, yes, we also had three connecting flights with layovers in order to get to Hawaii.

But, my whining is not the point. I had to face my stress and fears and decide it was now time to help my 10-yr. old daughter enjoy seeing the wonders God had created outside of St. Louis. Packing our small bags, we braved security lines, sat in overcrowded airports, and arrived in beautiful Hawaii.

At first, it did not seem beautiful. As we drove from Kona airport, I thought I had landed on the moon instead! Ugly, black lava rock surrounded us. Not a palm tree in sight! Then I saw white rocks used as graffiti to spell out names, declarations of love, and messages of hope along the road.

I found it humorous how we as humans desire one thing: To be remembered.

We want folks to know our names, don't we? We want to feel we matter. -That our time walking on this earth makes a difference.

That is what graffiti is all about for most people. Here on this island, it was no different. Visitors from around the world gathered white rocks and used the jagged lava as their slates on which to write their names.

Upon seeing those names spelled out in white pebbles, I flashed immediately to Revelation. I had just read about how the names of the saints or believers would be written on a white rock.

The image made no impression upon me until I saw acre after acre of white rock names.

I like the image!
I like knowing God knows MY name!
I like knowing I make a difference with God!
I matter!

So do you!

Never doubt that, Dear Reader!

Revelation 2:17 To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

Once we believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we receive a new name, a new heart forever!

As a result, we will not have to worry about connecting flights or stressful lines. We have a reservation in a paradise with which Hawaii can never compare!

I'm planning on seeing you there!

Mahalo,
For His Glory,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment