Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Easiest Way Out


Quick survey:
Does the woman in the picture look happy or unhappy?
I believe your answer depends upon your experience with cooking.
For me, she looks miserable.
You see, I am not a great cook
There I said it.
I admit it.
I never learned from my mother.
I never self-taught.
When I do try, I am a bundle of nerves.
So today as the holiday approaches, I search the magazine stands and google reicipes with the words, "Simple, Easy, No Fuss." Thank goodness I discovered the Semi-Homemade Lady!
Yet, I do feel guilty if I take any short cuts to my meals. Don't you? Not baking the bread from scratch and buying crescent rolls frozen from the store just seems like cheating.

But I do it anyway.

I also tend to do this in my spiritual life. Instead of stopping my daily work and searching the Scriptures for what God wants me to do and be, I will listen to the radio in the car on the way to an errand. I will listen to what others have to say.

Again, the easy way out.
No, I am not saying radio ministries are bad. No, I am not saying going to church or t.v. evangelism is bad either.

Just depending upon listening to others' interpretations instead of digging into the Word myself is not sufficient.

Microwave meals are easy and quick, but not nearly as nutritious or fulfilling as the meals made from scratch.

So, this holiday, I might try to make something from scratch and surprise my family, and myself.

In the meantime, I will also personally take time to know God. I think I might be in for surprises there as well, more lasting ones.

What are the shortcuts you take in your walk with God? with others? God bless you as you work with Him this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment