Monday, November 22, 2010

The Parade!


Don't you just love a good parade? I do! As Thanksgiving Day approaches, I know one thing will be on television as we wait for our feast, The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

In high school, in my small town, I always enjoyed marching and twirling my baton in our Homecoming Parade. In the days when the local high school provided the town's entertainment because malls and movie theatres were not in our area, my one-high-school town enjoyed gathering for football games and parades.

I guess I never grew out of it because each year, my family travels to what my daughter calls, "The BIG City!" of Chicago for the holiday light parade.
We "ooo" and "aaaah" as giant balloons (like the one in the picture above of Rudolph) float dangerously near the light displays along Michigan Avenue.

We wave at strangers in cars and floats as though they were our neighbors or family members. The best part of the parade though is at the end.

Yes, the end.

You see Michigan Avenue is closed to traffic and throngs (yes, I used the word, "throngs,") of people stroll down the Avenue after the last float of Santa and his reindeer passes.

Topping the evening off with a traditional, deep-dish Chicago pizza provides us with a wave of deep satisfaction as we return to our hotel room.

Today, I went back to reality. Monday morning. Time to take my daughter to school, clean the house, go grocery shopping...

Yet, that little "get away" to Chicago carried me through the day.

As I reflected on the trip and the warm feeling I still had from it, I realized it wasn't the trip itself, it was the bonding we did as a family. The laughter, the conversations on the five-hour road trip, just being together....

As I wait for Jesus to provide me direction for this stage of my life, I realize He, too, must just enjoy our bonding time with Him. When did I last laugh with Jesus? When did I just talk to Him without giving Him a list of things I needed or wanted or desired?

When did I last make Jesus my parade?

I think this is the perfect time to do so, don't you? After all, Thanksgiving and Christmas call for conversations about Him, why not also with Him?

I know some day I will get to walk THE Avenue with Him and marvel at the sights He has created and prepared for me as well. I need to prepare for that amazing conversation time with Him.

Blessings for you and yours as you feast for Thankgiving.

When you watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, won't you join me in also making Jesus your parade?

1 comment: