Monday, November 8, 2010

The Maniac in the Stands


I heard her voice. It was a loud, screeching sound coming from the stands. "Go! Run! Kick the ball harder! Get a goal!"
To my horror, I realized that obnoxious sound was coming from MY mouth! I was out of control screaming for my daughter to win her first soccer game. She had prayed so fervently after having two years of tieing or losing. --"Just one win? Please, God?"
Granted we realize we are third graders playing against fourth-grade teams, yet still just one win...
You see, I don't like to lose. I especially don't like seeing my daughter lose.
Much to my surprise, at this game I turned into a maniac in the stands. I was horrified. It was an out-of-body experience seeing and hearing myself get so passionate about a third-grade game.
God convicted me so much I had to leave the stands and wonder what in the world was wrong with me? What kind of example was I setting for my daughter?
Yes, other parents were yelling, too.
That didn't make it better.
God knows I was disappointed in my behavior and sorry. He also knows I am not perfect. I am so grateful for His patience and mercy.
I will work on being the person He desires.
As the Psalmist David asked, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditaion of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord!"

Here I go. One last soccer game of the season--and hopefully, one less maniac parent in the stands.

On what is God working in your daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment