Monday, November 15, 2010

A Deer and a Horse




In spite of the cool November weather and gray skies, I went for a bike ride at 8:30 this morning on a deserted trail.
What surprises I encountered on this trail today!
The past few months when I rode this trail my view was restricted because of the shelter of trees loaded with colorful leaves.
Today, the trees, as you can see are bare.
Yet, I still found it beautiful.
Beautiful because I could now see the Meremac river flowing next to me as I rode.
Beautiful because I could now see the rock formations towering like mansions on the hillsides.
Beautiful because I could see the source of the rustle of leaves on the ground as squirrels tried to scurry out of my way.

It occurred to me how much like life this is.
I do not see God's plan in all things.
"Now we see as through a glass darkly...but we shall see him face to face...."

How often had I driven this trail not realizing the view to my left or right. The amazing view of the river, the rocks, and deer.
Even as I rode, another surprise hit me, well, not literally fortunately.
I was looking down at the gravel road when a buck and doe JUMPED out right in front of me!
I was so startled I about fell over. I had to stop the bike and watch in awe as they bounded down the ravine.
Because the leaves were gone, I could stand and watch them traverse through the trees.
The bare trees opened my view.

How much better is the view my Father has of this life I live.
When I don't understand why my mother suffered for almost 30 years with Parkinson disease,
When I don't understand why a friend's husband leaves her and the children when her father is dying from brain cancer,
When I don't understand why my sweet sister-in-law must battle cancer again,
When things don't make sense,
I choose to believe God's view is better than mine.

Of course, this does not come easily. Like Job, I am tempted to question, to blame. The opening of the movie Secretariat is one of my favorite parts of the show. The slow-motion of the horse running in a race, the close up of the eye of the horse as it prepares for the gate are beautiful but even more so as the words from Job are recited over the music, "Do you give the horse his strength or clothe his neck with a flowing mane? Do you make him leap like a locust striking terror with his proud snorting? He paws fiercely, rejoicing in his strength, and charges into the fray....he eats up the ground; he cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds...."

When questioning or really judging God, God's response to Job reminds us of His power, His authority, and yes, His amazing love and mercy.

He who created the amazing deer I saw today, the craggy rock faces towering over the trail, the powerful current of the Meremac river sees me and my little life. He doesn't have to do one thing for me, but He did anyway.

He gave me hope. He gave me life. He gave me His view.

Forgive me, Father, for judging you, for not seeing who you truly are.

What about you?

Have you relegated God to your view, your experiences? Are you angry with Him?
Do you truly know and believe He loves you?

I hope you are filled with the knowledge today of God's deep love for you. If you let your eyes focus on Him, I assure you, the view will surprise you.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to see nature so close and personal:) So many times, Job has been the book that speaks to me the most...

    ReplyDelete